with Artist, Tyler Bolyard l Tyrassic
Learn the Real-time 3D Character Pipeline from Start to Finish
All-in-One Tutorial to Improve Your 3D Skills
Learn 5 Different 3D Modeling Programs at Once!
- Zbrush - Main digital sculpting software for blocking out and sculpting characters.
- Substance Painter - Texture painting software for creating texture maps to apply to shaders.
- Maya - Primary industry standard 3D software for modeling, retopology, UV layouts, shading and rendering with Arnold. Also used for XGen Hair creation.
- Marmoset Toolbag - Real-time ray tracer for quick rendering presentation as well as baking for textures creation.
- Photoshop - Industry standard tool for final rendered image compositing and texture map creation and editing.
Step 1: Translating 2D Designs into 3D Models with Appeal
Step 2: Tyrassic's Approach to 3D Character Development
Step 3: How to Simplify Human Anatomy into Clean Stylized Forms
Step 4: How to Texture and Surface Your Models for Portfolio Presentation
Step 5: Industry Advice & Professional Practices
Important Notice: This is an early bird class! That means the production of this class is just starting. The curriculum is subject to change, and content may be uploaded sequentially based on the creator’s schedule to ensure that we provide the class in the best quality possible.
- Meet Your Instructor: Tyler Bolyard aka Tyrassic
- Introduction and course overview
Chapter 1: Character design principles - Translating 2D to 3D with appeal
Character appeal and the uncanny valley
Silhouette and negative space
Shape language and contrast
Character construction and volumes
Proportions and exaggeration
Asymmetry and straights vs curves
Simple vs Complex and Smooth vs Sharp
Gesture, line of action and weight/balance
Chapter 2: 3D Character blockouts & stylized sculpting workflow
Blocking out a character in Zbrush
Importance of silhouette and shape language in 3D
Shapes hierarchy, proportions and straights vs curves in 3D
Using base meshes for efficiency
Chapter 3: Stylized anatomy & sculpting refinements
Stylizing and simplifying human anatomy
Planes of the human face and body
Important anatomy landmarks
Caricaturizing the face and body
Combining shapes and refining of the sculpt
Chapter 4: Modeling, topology & UV layouts
Topology for rigging/animation vs sculpting
Hard surface, organic, props and clothes modeling
Creating UV layouts in Zbrush and Maya
Chapter 5: Texture painting with Zbrush & Substance Painter
Overview of PBR (Physically Based Rendering) texturing workflow and required maps
Polypainting for albedo/diffuse maps and masks in Zbrush
PBR texturing for look development with Substance Painter
Exporting maps for rendering in Marmoset Toolbag and Arnold
Chapter 6: Shading & lighting with Marmoset Toolbag
Zbrush to Marmoset workflow
Marmoset lighting setups
Creating shaders in Marmoset
Rendering, passes and compositing
Chapter 7: Shading and lighting with Arnold for Maya
Lighting in Maya for Arnold
Shading workflows in Arnold
Arnold Render Settings
Rendering, passes and compositing
Chapter 8: Hair grooming basics with XGen for Maya
- XGen interface and overview
- Planning and breaking down hair grooms
- Types of XGen descriptions
- Tube grooming workflow
- Curves grooming workflow
- Hair textures and shading
- Groom details and expressions
Bonus Chapter I: 3D Printing model prep and process
- Planning for 3D printing
- Model prep and scaling
- Cutting and keying parts of the model for print
- Setting up supports and hollowing
Bonus Chapter II: Industry advice & professional practices
General advice for beginning professional 3D artists
Getting started in the entertainment industry and types of careers
Social media and networking tips
Tips for emails, interviews and professional online presentation
- Congratulations on Completing the Course
- Thank you and farewell!
Meet Your Creator
- You will learn how to use Zbrush, Maya, Substance Painter, Marmoset Toolbag, and Photoshop
- In order to take the course without problems, you must have it.
- How to use the program is thoroughly explained in the class.
PLEASE NOTE: This class uses a Windows operating system. Keep in mind that other operating systems may have different keyboard operations, shortcuts, etc.
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 32 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos in as many devices as you want.
This is an early bird class! That means the production of this class is just starting. The curriculum is subject to change, and content may be uploaded sequentially based on the creator’s schedule to ensure that we provide the class in the best quality possible.
Earn points to Extend the Class Access
Receive points by completing chapter missions OR by taking the class two or more times a week. And use the points to extend your class access!
Super Early Bird Offer
Once we pass the release date, we will no longer offered the class at "Super Early Bird". The rate will be raised after the date, right now is the cheapest deal you can get.
We will need to download Zbrush, Maya, Substance Painter, Marmoset Toolbag, and Photoshop.
Class videos will be available by November 15th. We will notify you via email regarding how to access to the class videos on the release date.
Select class option