1. Go at your own pace in this 20-week online course
2. Artistic guidance & pointers from the instructor
3. Supportive peer community exchanging feedback
4. Enroll now to start learning right away!
1. Go at your own pace in this 20-week online course
Draw Face & Expression for Characters
Learn Digital Drawing for Character's Face and Expression with
Artist, Carlos Gomes Cabral
How do you feel when you try to draw a face for a character you've pictured in your head and the result doesn't even come close?
I felt this frustration in the past so I know how bad it is. But, the moment I realized I could add simple shortcuts to make my faces look right, I never looked back! That's why I wanted to share my knowledge with you. Maybe your dream is to make a living as an artist or maybe you just want to show-off to your friends. Regardless of what your goal is, I've got you covered. I'm gonna walk you through a few simple techniques that will level-up your drawing skills fast!
By the end of this course, you will have saved years of study and learned enough to make your faces stand out! You will learn how to play with simple shapes and how to add rhythm and emotions to any character, even the ones you always wanted to draw!
By following along with the practices, you will find yourself saying goodbye to the frustration of never getting your drawings right. You will learn that there are just simple tricks that separate you from your favorite artist when it comes to drawing faces and expressions with appeal.
Step 1: Improving your draftsman skills to develop your unique art style
Step 2: Mastering how to draw an appealing portrait
Step 3: Adding personality to your character using shapes and expressions
Step 4: Creating a mood to your drawing with light and shadow
Step 5: Illustrating your original faces from start to finish in different styles
- Meet Your Instructor: Carlos Gomes Cabral
- Welcome To Mastering Faces And Expressions For Characters
- Introduction To The Class Materials
Chapter 1: Overview of Photoshop
- Setting Up Your Workspace
- Creating Your Own Brush
- How to Use Layers And Blending Modes
- Useful Tips For Productivity
Chapter 2: The Secret To A Great Sketch
- Making A Confident Line Art
- The Power Of Line Weights
- Using The Line Of Beauty
Chapter 3: Drawing The Facial Features
- Basic Head Proportion
- Drawing The Head In Different Angles
- Drawing The Eyes
- Drawing The Nose
- Drawing The Mouth
- Drawing The Ears
- Drawing Convincing Hair
- Aging Your Character
Chapter 4: Mastering Expressions - Part 1
- How Eyes And Eyebrows React To Emotions
- How Noses And Mouths React To Emotions
- The Primary Emotions
- The Range Scale Of Emotions
Chapter 5: Mastering Expressions - Part 2
- Mixing Emotions
- Physical State Expressions
- Applying Unevenness To Expressions
- Drawing Expressions In Different Angles
Chapter 6: Demistifying Light and Shadow
- The Patterns of Cinematic Lighting
- The Effects That Light Creates On Objects
- Controlling Values On A Face
- Secondary Light Source
- Pencil-only Shadows With Cross-hatching
Chapter 7: Understanding Colors
- Choosing Colors The Right Way
- Creating A Brush For Digital Painting
- Painting A Character
- Adding The Final Touches
Chapter 8: Flexibility & Exaggeration
- Playing With Different Head Shapes
- Squash & Stretch
- Focus On The Center Of The Face
- Using Additional Elements
- Referencing Animal Faces
- Adding Props To Your Characters
Chapter 9: Finishing Touches
- Framing Your Portraits On The Canvas
- Adding Depth Of Field
1. Congratulations on Completing the Course
About the Instructor
My name is Carlos Gomes Cabral. I am a professional character designer and illustrator based in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I have years of experience in many segments, such as publicity, games, and comics. Along a decade of working in the art field, I've taught thousands of students through my online tutorials and my book "Whoosh! 250 Ways to Get Motion into Your Drawings”, where I teach beginner and professional artists to create attention-grabbing drawings that practically leap off the pages. This book also features guest artists from companies such as Marvel Comics, Image Comics, and Dreamworks. I'm excited to share with you what I've learned over the years in this field in order to bring your art to life!
Q: How did you first start doing what you do?
My story with illustration started when I was about two years old when I scribbled all over the wall of our house with the crayons that my mother had bought for me. Obviously, this did not make my mother very happy, but it was an indication that I had awakened to a new magical world of infinite possibilities. Comic artists became my true heroes at that time, and I can remember practicing like crazy, trying to reach the same level of them. Then I started to study the Disney style of art and also brought other cultural influences to my workflow, such as Asian and European styles. Since then, every time I pick up the pencil, it feels like I'm just paying homage to my childhood heroes.
- This class uses Adobe Photoshop CC/CS
- Adobe Photoshop is a subscription-based paid software
- To take this class, you need to have access to Adobe Photoshop
- The class will fully cover how to use and apply the program
- People who want to improve their portrait drawing skills
- People who want to convey different expressions on their illustrations
- People who want to learn how to use photoshop
- People who want to explore different illustrations styles
- People who want to learn realistic character design
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 20 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos in as many devices as you want.
You need to have your own Adobe Photoshop to take the class. For more information, please visit https://www.adobe.com for more information.
We will send you an email with a webpage link and a personalized code to access the videos within 24 hours of purchase.
Select class option