1. Learn at your own pace in this 20-week online course.
2. Artistic guidance & feedback from the artist herself.
3. Engaged & supportive community of peers to exchange feedback.
4. English subtitles (Original audio in Korean).
5. Enroll now to start learning right away!
1. Learn at your own pace in this 20-week online course.
Create on Your Mobile Phone
Did you even know you can draw on your phone? A lot of people are surprised when they hear this, but I want you to know that you can draw amazing drawings on your phone. Let's share how easy and fun drawing is, and the joyful feelings you can feel with all the powers of digital creation in the palm of your hand.
Create a Family of Characters
You have the power to bring characters to life! In this class, you will learn how to transform the people of your imagination, and even real life, into characters on paper. Your characters will have emotions and physical features, as if they were real! From concept design to the actual drawing process, I'll tell you all the steps to creating characters.
Worried about the technical aspects? Don’t be! It's never difficult! You can draw characters with really light lines like in my drawings. I will teach you how to draw and catch the key points so that you can freely express figures without complicated details or techniques. Also, I will point out the parts that are easy to mess up so you get a perfect sketch every time.
Drawing Clothes and Hair
Vintage food illustrations emphasized the texture and appearance of food by exaggerating the crunchiness of bread or the glistening of ice cubes. You will learn to capture the same feeling in your own drawings by the end of this course.
Adding Vivid Colors
There are two main ways to color a character. There is the basic method of drawing an outline and filling in colors, and the method of drawing smoothly with only colors without any lines. The feelings of the two methods are completely different, and they can be applied in a variety of ways. I will tell you how to choose colors and color neatly and cleanly.
Also, depending on how you use light and shadow, you can express the atmosphere of the picture in many different ways. Let's gradually learn how to use the contrast in the simplest and coolest way to match cartoon drawings.
Drawing the Scene
Give your characters a story. What if your character was a main character in an animation? Imagine the specific situations your character faces and draw scenes as if they are a still cut of a movie or animation! In fact, you can capture the character as if they were moving and alive. You can tell stories through your illustrations!
A Character Sheet? What’s That?
I’ll teach you to organize your characters into one sheet? A character sheet explains everything about a character's appearance, clothing, personality, and rough story. After finishing with a completed sheet, your character will be complete! Character sheets are also great as an addition to your portfolio. :)
Discover the world of character creation on your mobile phone.
Step 01 : How to Use ibisPaint
ibisPaint is the free application used in this class. I will walk you through frequently used tools as well as the tools I use when creating characters. Learn and master the tools of ibisPaint.
Step 02 : How to Draw Characters
First, I’ll cover the structure of human characters. Set a strong foundation for drawing characters by learning about how to create graceful and likeable characters.
Step 03 : How to Color and Add Contrast
Colors and contrast give life to your characters. Learn how to color cleanly and create different atmospheres with different types of contrast.
Step 04 : How to Draw a Scene from an Animation
Scenes give your characters a purpose, a story. Learn how to create a scene for characters that make it seem as though they come straight out of an anime!
Step 05 : How to Draw Unique Characters
Special characters have to have your own style. Learn how to find inspiration for your characters and turn that inspiration into a unique character of your own!
Step 06 : How to Create a Character Sheet
What are character sheets? How do I make one? Learn how to conceptualize your character into a character sheet.
Welcome to Kimmyway’s Digital Drawing Class
- Meet Kimmyway: illustrator, artist, and your instructor
- How can you create characters on your phone?
- All you need is ibisPaint and a touch pen
01. The Basics of ibisPaint
- Setting up your canvas
- How to use brushes and colors
- Using layers and layering effects
- Other useful tools I recommend
02. Character Drawing 101 - The Body
- The structure of the face simplified
- How to draw different facial expressions
- How to make your character’s poses look graceful
- How to bring your character to life with gestures
03. Character Drawing 101 - The Hair and Clothes
- The secret to drawing natural looking hair
- How to portray wrinkles on clothes
- How to avoid awkwardness when drawing clothes
04. Coloring and Contrast
- The techniques for sharp and clear coloring
- How to get soft coloring like analog art
- Various ways to add contrast and the effects of each
05. Drawing Your Own Characters
- Ways you can find inspiration
- Designing characters that get people’s sympathy
- Creating a story to broaden the scope of your character
06. Drawing a Scene from an Animation
- Setting up your workspace, then sketching
- Coloring the character and background
- Finishing details that will make your illustration animation-like
07. Creating Character Sheets
- What are character sheets and what are they for?
- Drawing your character in various poses and expressions
- Trimming and finalizing your character sheet
Outro: Congratulations on Finishing the Class!
In closing: Keep creating your own characters!
Hello! I'm kimmyway, an artist who likes to create various characters from my phone!
I like to tell stories through my own characters. The process of making characters more and more three-dimensional is also very enjoyable, and when I meet people who like my pictures and characters, I feel the greatest happiness!
The reason I started drawing on my phone is because I couldn’t afford more expensive devices like tablets. As it was my last resort, I didn't expect much from drawing on my phone.
But as I continued exploring and trying, I found my rhythm, and now I can draw great pictures without a tablet or iPad! And now I want to share with you what I've been working on with mobile drawing.
Through my class, you will learn how to draw pictures easily and happily on your smartphone, and create your own lifelike characters!
- People who want to learn how to draw, but are hesitant to spend money
- People who want to learn how to create characters that are simple, but full of life
- People who want to create unique characters with their own personal tastes
- People who want to draw a scene from an animation
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 20 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos on as many devices as you want.
In this class, ibisPaint will be used throughout the class. The app is free and available for both Android & iOS users.
We will send you an email with a webpage link and a personalized code to access the videos within 24 hours of purchase. Please check your inbox or spam!
Q. Do I have to use a mobile device or ibisPaint?
A. Not at all! Even if you use another device or program, you can benefit from taking this class. Since this class mainly uses only the very basic functions of eBiSpan, if you know how to handle basic tools of different digital drawing programs, you can apply what you learn here to what you’re drawing on. However, please be aware that all the lessons are based on ibisPaint :)
Q. Can beginners take the class?
A. I've studied and researched a lot on 'What is the easiest way to draw cool pictures?' and I want to share my results with you through this class. As such, it will be easy to pick up pointers without any complicated or difficult techniques. Beginning with a very basic process of drawing a character, even beginners will be able to follow! I will teach you bit by bit. :)
Q. Is it possible to take a lesson even if I draw it by hand on paper?
A. In this class, you will be able to utilize vivid and diverse colors and layer effects that can only be created in a digital environment! That's why there are some things you may miss if you take the class without a digital device. Cell phones, iPads, tablets ... Any form of electronic device for digital drawing and a pointed touch pen must be prepared. :)
Select class option