1. Go at your own pace in this 20-week online course
2. Artistic guidance & pointers from the instructor
3. Supportive peer community exchanging feedback
4. Enroll now to start learning right away!
1. Go at your own pace in this 20-week online course
A Single Image Has a Potential to Tell a Story
Master character design from start to finish
In this course, I will teach you how I conceptualize couple portraits, going beyond just drawing what looks good but really thinking of the meaning and story behind the character interaction.
If you are struggling with drawing romantic interactions, or have never tried it and are interested in learning to draw couples of different types, then this course will help guide you. No prior experience to drawing couples or character interactions is required.
This course is about generating ideas for character interactions, and learning how to translate those ideas and feelings into a drawing, regardless of your style.
We will first start developing the individual character, then move on to developing their interpersonal relationships and portraying those in drawing.
We will study artworks of varying styles and understand what makes them successful, and apply those lessons into your own style when drawing people, your favourite characters, or characters of your own imagination!
I will also be sharing my colouring tips for creating a soft romantic mood for digital drawings, which may also be applied in how to post-process scanned or photographed traditional drawings.
By the end of this course, you will have a better understanding of how to conceptualize and draw varied romantic character interactions.
You will also have a better understanding of how to choose colour palettes, and choosing what type of colouring would best suit your style or concept.
Step 1: Overview of Photoshop
Step 2: Mastering the character drawing from facial structure, body, poses, and clothing
Step 3: Adding a personality into a character and creating a mood
Step 4: Adding visual storytelling elements to your own characters
1. Meet Your Instructor: Yankasmiles
2. Introduction to the course
3. Introduction to Photoshop
Chapter 1: Overview of digital art-making
1. Learning general drawing program terminology
2. Streamline drawing processes through program shortcuts
3. Identifying what your creative inspirations are and studying them
4. Learning how to apply your inspirations into developing your own creative direction
Chapter 2. THE INDIVIDUAL: Drawing the face
1. Learning the basic facial structure and how I stylize it: Part I
2. Learning the basic facial structure and how I stylize it: Part II
3. Drawing different hairstyles: Part I
4. Drawing different hairstyles: Part II
5. Drawing emotions and reactions based on a character’s personality
Chapter 3. THE INDIVIDUAL: Drawing the body in a portrait
1. Understanding and coloring different skin tones
2. Using references to pose a character: Part I
3. Using references to pose a character: Part II
4. Choosing and drawing clothes that reflect a character’s personality
Chapter 4. THE COUPLE: Learning to capture character chemistry visually
1. Defining romance and learning how character relationships can be portrayed visually
2. Applying and drawing individual personality into a couple dynamic
3. Using references and drawing a couple poses in your own style
Chapter 5. Sketching a couple from start to finish
1. Creating a mood board and planning the drawing
2. Sketching and early problem solving when drawing a couple together: Part I
3. Sketching and early problem solving when drawing a couple together: Part II
4. Finalizing the line art: Part I
5. Finalizing the line art: Part II
6. Choosing colors to convey the mood you want
7. Coloring the drawing: Part I
8. Coloring the drawing: Part II
9. Coloring the drawing: Part III
Chapter 6. Finishing touches: Adding details to tell a story and preparing images for uploading or printing
1. Enhancing a drawing using layer modes and program functions
2. Tips on how lighting can add more depth to the visual story
3. Beginner’s guide to preparing images for online posting or for printing
Chapter 7. Tips on how to deal with art block and continuing further independent art studies
1. How to work through art block
2. Building your reference library
3. Choosing and planning your own art studies
BONUS: Clip Studio
1. Using 3D models to help with posing
1. Congratulations on Completing the Course
About the creator
Former Graphic Designer and teacher,
Now Full time Freelance Illustrator, Yanka
Hello, I’m yankasmiles! I have always loved to draw as a hobby, and as an artist, I enjoy exploring the different possibilities of how love can take shape. I hold a diploma in visual communication, and worked as a graphic designer and teacher for two years before becoming a full-time freelance illustrator. I’m self-taught, and my artistic journey really kicked off the moment I got invested in a particular character pairing.
Suddenly I was motivated to draw better, just so I could draw this couple in the settings I pictured in my mind. It’s been 6 years since I first got into them, and I have still been drawing and reimagining that same couple to this day. They are my muse, and I want to share that passion for romantic storytelling and pursuit for creative self-improvement with you!
- This class uses Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Photoshop is a subscription-based paid software
- To take this class, you need to have access to this software
- The class will cover how to use and apply the program
- Those who wants to get better at the basics of digital drawing
- People who want to learn my style of character design
- Artists who want to learn my workflow and add new techniques to their repertoire
- Anyone who loves drawing and wants to get better at drawing characters and character interactions!
Duration of the Course
You will have unlimited access to the class content for 20 weeks. Within that period, you can play the videos on as many devices as you want.
Early Bird Offer
Once the course is live, it will no longer be offered at Early Bird prices. Right now is the best deal you can get.
You need to have your own Adobe Photoshop to take the class. For more information, please visit adobe.com
We will send you an email with a webpage link and a personalized code to access the videos within 24 hours of purchase.
Q: How did you first start doing what you do?
I've always been the type to doodle around her notebook margins in school, but I only started taking drawing seriously after I graduated from college. Coincidentally, it was also around the time I started wanting to learn how to do couple portraits, since as a hobbyist I used to only do solo portraits.
Q: What is the favorite thing about what you do?
I love the challenges that come with drawing. There is always something more to learn. When drawing couples, either for client work or for personal work, I love how the finished work can bring out feelings in a viewer as well. It's a human thing to want to connect with others, and there are so many ways to visually express love and romance!
Q: What makes this course different or special?
I believe that convincing romantic stories can be told and drawn in different styles, regardless of your skill level. Rather than focusing solely on building technical skill, this course will focus on idea generation and the storytelling aspects of couple illustration. Through this course, I will also share with you my own drawing processes, the tools and techniques I use, as well as tips on how to move forward with your own independent learning.
Q: What kind of person should absolutely take this course?
If you’ve ever wanted to draw couple portraits of your own characters, your favourite characters, or maybe even of people you know in life, but have found it intimidating or difficult to start, or come up with new ideas of how to draw them — this course is for you. While I will conduct the majority of this class using Photoshop, the lessons can be applied to any drawing program or drawing medium.
Select class option