1. Learn at your own pace in this 20-week online course.
2. Artistic guidance & feedback from the artist herself.
3. Engaged & supportive community of peers to exchange feedback.
4. English subtitles (Original audio in Korean).
5. Enroll now to start learning right away!
1. Learn at your own pace in this 20-week online course.
See for yourself to the improvements our classmates have made in this course!
154 students enrolled and 99% said they were satisfied with this course.
Finally, it's done! All the steps are still a bit confusing and difficult, but fun nonetheless. I'm sad that there are fewer classes left as the class progresses. The more I draw, the better I want to be, so I felt a lot of regret. The river is so thick and overpainted that it smudged. But I'm glad I finished it. I will work hard on the next class. Thank you for the good lesson!
-by Lee Dahee
Hello, I’m Hyeongmi Ham
I create the background illustrations of animation movies and tv shows. I don't remember exactly how I got into urban sketching, but I think it was when I started looking and drawing photos I took on vacations. Since then, I have captured many small moments of my daily life, and my sketchbook is filled with precious memories.
Most people like to document their travels, usually in the form of a photo or a souvenir. Be different. Urban sketching is the perfect medium to capture breathtaking sights and emotions you feel in those special moments.
STEP 1. The Sketch
I’ll start by teaching you about the sketching process. Learn about 1,2, and 3-point perspective, and how to use it to sketch scenes. Just sketch the places where your feet reach, the things that catch your eyes. Each scene will come together, and it will be like a movie.
STEP 2. The Colors
Next you’ll learn how to fill in colors, one by one using watercolors. Learn about colors in creating value scales, and controlling the concentration of the paint. I’ll show you how colors can help you portray light and shadows, and create an illustration with all the small details.
STEP 3. The Background
Give your illustrations depth. Although drawing in perspective will help make your illustration look 3D, adding background colors and elements will make your urban sketches have depth. Learn how to use aerial perspective to add elements into your background.
STEP 4. The Composition
Composition can change the entire atmosphere of your illustrations. I’ll teach you how to place each element onto the page to create a balanced work of art that catches the eyes.
STEP 5. The People
Adding people can also bring a whole new look to your urban sketches. I’ll show you how to use simple shapes to sketch people, then use those shapes to draw figures in various poses. Then add people to your drawings to give them another interesting element and change the atmosphere.
Drawing an interior uses different techniques than your normal urban sketches. Even the ceiling, walls, and floor should be drawn differently. Learn how to use these new techniques to capture the warm interiors of cafes or hotels that you often encounter on your travels.
It doesn’t have to be perfect
When I first started drawing, I worried about messing up and making mistakes so I couldn't draw properly. Because I spent so much time fixing mistakes and hesitating, it took a lot of time just to draw one illustration. I think many people struggle with the same thing. It took me a lot of time to overcome this fear, but the best way was to finish the drawing even if there are mistakes. After completing the illustration, small mistakes are not noticeable.
Sketching doesn't have to be perfectly refined. So draw freely.
Capture the scenes that catch your eye.
Urban sketching with Hyeongmi Ham.
Step 01 : 1, 2, and 3-Point Perspectives
Good urban sketches utilize the theories of perspective. Learn about the three different types of perspective and how to use them when drawing your own urban sketches.
Step 02 : Using Pens
The main tool used when creating our urban sketches will be the pen. Learn how to use various types of pens, from how to draw lines to how to add special finishing touches.
Step 03 : Using Watercolors
Color will help you create the atmosphere you want. Learn about controlling concentration with watercolors, and using a brush and watercolors to realistically depict scenes.
Step 04 : Drawing People
Urban sketching focuses on buildings and landscapes, but people can add a different effect. Learn about the structure of the human body and how to use simple shapes to add life to your urban sketches.
Step 05 : Getting a Balanced Composition
If you have a good composition, your drawing will stand out among other sketches. Learn how to analyze scenes around you and use what you see to plan a drawing.
Step 06 : Drawing an Interior
To draw an interior, you need to use different techniques. Learn everything about drawing interiors, from how to depict indoor lighting to the differences between depicting the ceiling, walls, and floor.
Welcome to Hyeongmi Ham’s Art Class
- Introducing the class: Urban sketching
- Meet Hyeongmi Ham: illustrator, artist, and your instructor
- What is included in the class kit?
01. Understanding Perspective
- The theory behind 1-point perspective
- The theory behind 2-point perspective
- The theory behind 3-point perspective
- In application: Filling up a space with boxes
02. Using 2-Point Perspective
- How to draw good, clean lines
- How to accurately draw shapes in perspective
- In application: Drawing a building
03. Understanding Light and Shadows
- Drawing using only shadows
- Making a simple value scale
- Adding light and shadows to your drawing
04. Adding Color
- The theory behind colors
- How to make colors
- How to make strokes using watercolors
- Coloring in your black and white drawing
05. Filling in the Background
- What is aerial perspective?
- How you should use aerial perspective in urban sketches
- Practice using aerial perspective
- Adding aerial perspective to your drawing
06. How to Make Your Sketches Stand Out
- Composition that makes your sketches look stable
- Composition that makes your sketches have a sense of space
- Composition that makes your sketches look balanced
- Adding a sense of space to your drawing
07. Drawing People
- Exploring how drawings change when you add people
- How to draw people using simple shapes
- In application: Drawing various poses
- Adding people to your drawing
08. From Real Life to Sketchbook
- How to quickly visualize a composition for your drawing
- Analyzing and dividing a photo to draw
09. Drawing an Interior
- Things to note when you’re drawing an interior
- The differences between the walls, ceiling, and floor
- Drawing an interior using light and shadows 1
- Drawing an interior using light and shadows 2
Bonus: Applying What You’ve Learned
- Drawing a cafe 1
- Drawing a cafe 2
- Drawing a cafe 3
Outro: Congratulations on Finishing the Class!
- In closing: Enjoy drawing the world around you
Artist Hyeongmi Ham
Hello, I’m Hyeongmi Ham, an artist that captures any place your feet touch and your eyes see in my sketchbook.
I want to capture everyday moments with my sketchbook and pen.
For me, urban sketching is like capturing a scene from a movie because it stops a pretty moment in motion with one work of art. I wanted to freely draw those landscapes in a sketchbook. And I want to share my little hobby in the same way you watch good movies with your friends.
- People who are interested in art as a hobby
- People who want to recreate travel photos as art
- People who want to strengthen their painting skills
- People who want to paint while they travel
- People who want to learn a new, enriching hobby
- Mungyo 12 Color Watercolor Palette with a 12-Half pan
- Hanemule Watercolor Book A5
- Liner 0.1, 0.5
- Signor White Pen 0.7
- Gekkoso Water brush (M/L)
- Watercolor Container
- Gekkoso Watercolor (Chrome Yellow Light, Scarlet, Chrome Red, Ultramarine Blue, Cobalt Blue, Prussian Blue, chrome Green Deep, chrome Green Light, Yellow Ochre, Vandyke Brow)
📩 Packages are subject to change and students will be fully informed in such changes.
Duration of the course
You can access the class videos for 20 weeks. Within that period, you can replay the videos on as many devices as you want.
If you have purchased the “All-in-one package,” we will ship your package within the next 2 business days & it may take less than 2 weeks to get the package. We will also send you a tracking number after we send the package. Due to the duration of delivery, your access will be extended to 22 weeks.
We will send you an email with a webpage link and a personalized code to access the videos within 24 hours of purchase.
Q.I’m new to drawing. Will I still be able to follow along?
A. Of course! As it is a class for beginners, I will tell you the basics from drawing a line slowly. We plan to complete a single picture as if the things we knew only in theory are used in the picture, by dividing the steps by process and stacking them one by one. If you follow the class slowly, you will see the finished picture at the end.
Q. Do you have a goal for this class?
A. The biggest goal is to help our students practice on their own. A lot of people are looking at pictures and practicing pictures, but it seems like they are just unsure about where to start. So, I want to give you basic theory so that you can find the answer by yourself.
Q. How will this class benefit me?
A. You can use it anywhere when you are painting alone or when you are painting outdoors. There is a difference between painting outdoors and painting indoors, but it's the same. In addition to the class, if you draw a picture by yourself and apply the theory you learn, you can use it for any picture.
Q. Do you need any other preparations other than the kits shipped?
A. I think many of you will have a pencil, so I didn't include it in the package, so please prepare a pencil, and eraser. If you have a black name pen or sign pen, you will be able to work faster. Also, since I use watercolors, you will need a towel to wipe the paint off. I recommend the cloth rather than the sponge. If you don't have it, you can prepare a tissue. If you have a pain in your back or neck, we recommend that you use a clipboard or a size 8 drawing board.
Select class option